How does license expiration work?

Find answers to common questions for CodonCode Aligner and the Aligner License Server

How does license expiration work?

Postby jt-umdnj » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi,
I recently installed the aligner license server; we have one license and several users. My colleagues have not been good about exiting aligner after they have finished their project. The software says licenses expire after two hours, but that doesn't seem to happen. I checked the log. For example, a license was issued at 10:59 AM, but didn't expire until 7:17 PM despite several people being in the queue. Can you explain why the license didn't expire after two hours? Thanks.
jt-umdnj

Re: How does license expiration work?

Postby Peter Richterich » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Licenses are initially issued for two hours, but they are automatically extended as long as CodonCode Aligner can connect to the Aligner License Server. Many users need to use CodonCode Aligner for more than two hours. The license expiration at 7:17 pm was probably about 2 hours after your user left and turned off his computer.

Sharing one license between multiple users will only work if users quit CodonCode Aligner when they are done. On OS X, they need to choose "Quit" from the "CodonCode Aligner" menu - closing all windows will NOT quit CodonCode Aligner on OS X.

If you continue to have problems with users blocking the license, you may want to change the password for checking out licenses on the Aligner License Server. However, if you regularly have several users queued who want to use CodonCode Aligner, you probably need additional licenses.
Peter Richterich
Site Admin

Return to Support & Questions